Monday, March 4, 2013

"T-Word" Must Haves: The Serious Stuff

"T-Word" meaning... Toddler.

Omygoodness I have a TODDLER? How did this happen and where did my tiny baby go?

Way back when Charlie was a teeny-tiny 3 week old, I did a "Baby Must Haves" post. Well, obviously since he's not a baby anymore, things have changed! We use different things, he's learning new things everyday and he's a super active little boy... so I've decided it's time for a new list:

"T-Word" Must Haves: The Serious Stuff
(I'll make a separate list for the "fun" stuff aka. TOYS!!)

Ok, on with it.. (these are in no particular order)...

Homedics My Baby Sound Spa Lullaby Sound Machine
$19.97 on Amazon


This little thing is great. It has six different sound/music options so you can play around with it to find what works for you. We use it to drown out outside noises at night and during nap time, Charlie is a light sleeper, so I feel like this really makes a huge difference. We use the Rain sound at night and any of the music during naps.

There is also a projector light on it, but we don't usually use it because we feel like it's pretty noisy and not really necessary.

****
Boogie Wipes (we like the Grape scent)
$14.57 for a 3-pack on Amazon
These things. They're WONDERFUL. While they may seem like overpriced, glorified Kleenex to some people... to this Mama, they are a great invention. When your little one is in daycare (or even if they're not), the sniffles happen. A lot. Unfortunately.

Whether it's from a cold, allergies or even a snotty nose as a teething side effect, Boogie Wipes do a great job of keeping little noses from getting red, chapped and irritated from the use of rough tissues.

You can also buy them at Target and Toys R Us/Babies R Us from what I've seen. A little pricey, but worth it.

****
Re-Play Divided Plates
$6.47 on Amazon
Perfect plates to get your toddler used to using a plate! I just got these, but they seem great so far. They are super in expensive (3 plates for $6.47) and the sections are designed to fit just the right portion sizes for a toddler. They are really durable and dishwasher safe. They are, however, NOT microwave safe.


****

Munchkin Snack Catchers
$4ish at Target (varies between stores)
Wonderful invention. I put Cheerios, Raisins, Goldfish... etc. it these. Charlie carries them around, throws them, drops them, offers them to the dog and leaves them laying around all the time. They're great for on-the-go snacking.

Are they completely spill-proof? No way, but they come pretty close 90% of the time. You can buy them at most stores that sell baby items and also online in 2-packs or 4-packs.

****
The First Years Take & Toss Utensils
$3.99 at Target (varies between stores)
For the price, you really can't go wrong with these. You get 8 forks and 8 spoons for less than $4. They're the perfect size for little hands that are just learning how to use utensils. I give Charlie a fork at every meal now and he's picking it up pretty quickly.

My only gripe with these is that they're top-rack only in the dishwasher. So I can't toss them in with the other silverware in the holder on the bottom. Not a huge deal, but I usually end up washing them by hand.

****
Munchkin Stay-Put Suction Bowls
$9.99 for a 3-pack on Amazon
These bowls work great when you want to offer your child the option to feed themselves from a bowl, but want a little added security that it won't end up on the floor ;)

I find myself using these most often for yogurt. Charlie loves being able to feed himself and seems to get a kick out of feeding himself yogurt with a spoon. The suction cup comes in handy in this case so the bowl stays in place and he can more easily work the spoon around.

They are top-rack dishwasher safe, but NOT microwavable. They also come with lids in case you want to refrigerate the leftovers.

****
Blackout Curtains
Eclipse "Miley" Panel $15.99 Each at Target
Blackout Curtains are MUST in my opinion. Some babies need dark spaces for sleep, and daytime and early bedtimes can cause issues. While they don't completely knock out all the light, they do a pretty good job.

The Eclipse panels at Target come in variety of fun, kid friendly colors - we went with yellow.

****

Ok, that's my list for now!

Coming soon: "T-Word" Must Have: Toys!

No comments: