Saturday, March 2, 2013

Book Review: "The Maze Runner"

"The Maze Runner"  (Maze Runner #1) by James Dashner

SUMMARY from Goodreads
When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every thirty days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.

Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers.

Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind.


MY RATING




MY THOUGHTS
Great read! I've had this series on my list for a while, but couldn't get to it for the longest time. I was just really unsure about the whole premise. Luckily I finally took the plunge and decided to go for it thanks to one of the book clubs I'm in.

I LOVED it. There were a few weird moments, and the idea of the book is pretty out there. But, I guess it fits in well with the whole 'dystopian society' thing. I'll say that I wasn't a fan of the telepathy thing between Thomas and Teresa, it seemed odd and unnecessary... maybe it comes into place in the later books? I don't know, we'll find out. I have book two cued up on my Kindle, I just need to find time to read it!

Overall, I'd recommend it.

*******************************************************************

I am participating in NaBloPoMo. In other words, I have committed to blogging every day during the month of March. I can’t guarantee I’ll succeed, but I’m going to try! If you’d like to join me (and a TON of others), you can click here to sign up (you only have until 3/5 to do so). There are blogging prompts available, but you are also free to do your own thing - prompts are great for writers block :)


No comments: