Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Further Education

In 2011, I was given the opportunity to go back to college and further my education. It came as an unexpected opportunity, but after talking through the pros and cons with my husband, I decided to take the plunge.

So, I enrolled in the Web Design program at the college I had previously attended.

Now, at this time, I was already pregnant, unbeknownst to by manager.  That was where a challenge came into play. I was on a tight timeline to get a lot of things accomplished!

However, I trudged forward. I took on the challenge of working full time in our busiest season, being a college student AND being in my second trimester of pregnancy.

Some people may not see that as a risk or a challenge. But have you every done those three things all at once? It was not easy. At all.

I continued that tough schedule right up until a week before I had Charlie. The final class date was actually the Wednesday after his due date! I had previously spoken with my Instructor and he knew my situation. I worked ahead in class (therefore having to majorly bust my ass!) and was able to complete everything, including the final project, with flying colors.

Going back to school while pregnant and working full time was definitely a huge risk for me. Not only mentally and physically, but also financially.

How did it turn out? I think it turned out pretty good.

I was blessed to have a relatively uneventful pregnancy. I was able to pick up easily on the skills I was to learn in class because I was lucky enough to have an amazing teacher. And lastly, I'm able to use those new skills to help my career.

I see all of that as a win. I'm glad I had the opportunity and I hope I continue to benefit from everything I was able learn because of it. 

******************
I am participating in NaBloPoMo. In other words, I have committed to blogging every day during the month of March. I can’t guarantee I’ll succeed, but I’m going to try! If you’d like to join me (and a TON of others), you can click here to sign up (you only have until 3/5 to do so). There are blogging prompts available, but you are also free to do your own thing - prompts are great for writers block :)

Todays prompt was: What is the riskiest thing you've ever done?  How did it turn out?

No comments: