Monday, March 18, 2013

Book Review: "Requiem"

*First off, you may have heard that Google is discontinuing Google Reader (boooo Google!). Anyways, I'm hopping on the Bloglovin' train.

Follow me here to keep up with this blog and my oh so interesting life!
Follow on Bloglovin
There will also be a permanent button in the side bar and included in new posts for the time being. Now, onto the book review!*

"Requiem" by Lauren Oliver
SUMMARY from Goodreads
They have tried to squeeze us out, to stamp us into the past.

But we are still here.

And there are more of us every day.

Now an active member of the resistance, Lena has been transformed. The nascent rebellion that was under way in Pandemonium has ignited into an all-out revolution in Requiem, and Lena is at the center of the fight.

After rescuing Julian from a death sentence, Lena and her friends fled to the Wilds. But the Wilds are no longer a safe haven—pockets of rebellion have opened throughout the country, and the government cannot deny the existence of Invalids. Regulators now infiltrate the borderlands to stamp out the rebels, and as Lena navigates the increasingly dangerous terrain, her best friend, Hana, lives a safe, loveless life in Portland as the fiancĂ©e of the young mayor.

Maybe we are driven crazy by our feelings.

Maybe love is a disease, and we would be better off without it.

But we have chosen a different road.

And in the end, that is the point of escaping the cure: We are free to choose.

We are even free to choose the wrong thing.

Requiem is told from both Lena’s and Hana’s points of view. The two girls live side by side in a world that divides them until, at last, their stories converge.


MY RATING




MY THOUGHTS
I wanted, more than anything, to love this book. Really, I did.

Don't get me wrong, I liked it, but it feels like she forgot a few chapters at the end! Way too many loose ends for my liking. There were so many characters that were built up throughout the series and then never wrapped up. Too many questions left at the end.

Don't even get me started on Raven, I could talk all day about her. BUT...I won't because I don't want to spoil anything for those who haven't read it yet. For those that have read it, you likely know what I mean - a very anticlimactic way to wrap up such a strong character. You also never get any solid ending for Julian (whose character was never fully developed in my opinion) or Hana and Fred. Even Lena and Alex are left somewhat hanging.

It was still a good book, and I'm glad I read it, but I feel like the author was rushed to an ending or failed at including an epilogue. It was a disappointing end to an otherwise great series. I have heard rumors of a potential epilogue or short story addition to it, and I truly hope that's the case - it may ease my disappointment.

No comments: