Friday, October 1, 2010

Book Review: "Hunger Games"

"Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins

In what is left of the United States, lies Panem. Within Panem, there are 12 Districts that are divided and each has their own speciality. The Capitol takes entertainment to a new level with The Hunger Games.

Katniss Everdeen is the provider for her family, which is just her mother, her younger sister Prim, and herself. When the Reaping, the event that chooses a boy and a girl from each district to compete in The Games, comes and her twelve year old sister is chosen - Katniss volunteers herself in her place. This is unheard of in their district.

She does go in Prims place and is pitted against 23 others in the arena controlled by the Capitol. In the arena, they are left to fight to the death, winner takes all. With her family in mind, Katniss does whatever she can to survive. When the Capitol makes a rule change, she is able to team up with the boy from her district so that they might both live and return home. What starts as a dramatic tale, takes a turn for the romantic.


Would I recommend this book?
You bet I would! I can't wait to read the 2nd book in the three book series.

I didn't think I would like these books, but they took me by surprise and had me hooked by chapter two. It's very well written and unexpected.

3 comments:

hizzle said...

I want to read this book! It's in my to read list!

Genevieve said...

Glad you liked this book so much! It is on my to read list as well.

Michelle said...

Both of you definitely need to read this book - the whole series! I'm working on book 3 right now, all 3 are excellent reads.