Monday, October 4, 2010

Book Review: "Catching Fire"

"Catching Fire" by Suzanne Collins

The second book in the Hunger Games series doesn't disappoint!

Katniss and Peeta have survived the 74th Annual Hunger Games and have arrived to live the fancy life of victors back in District 12. However, Katniss can't help but think that the Capitol is planning something huge to get back at her for the stunt she pulled that kept them both alive. She starts to think about rebelling against the Capitol when information about the "Quarter Quell", or 75th Annual Hunger Games, is announced.

The two find themselves back in the arena for a second year. Something that is never supposed to happen, the victors are supposed to be safe. This year is different though, they have allies. Katniss pushes the thought of a rebellion to the back of her mind, but it's always something she's considering. For now her focus is getting Peeta home, even if it costs her her own life.

When the Games come to an unexpected end, Katniss finds herself on her way to District 13 - a place that they were always told had been destroyed. But what really lies there? Will she get Peeta back? What about her family and Gale? What about District 12?

All questions should be answered in book three. I can't wait!

Would I recommend this book?
Yep! I liked the first book better, but this one keeps you just as intrigued all the way through. Catching Fire adds more depth to the characters and you really get to see Katniss grow into her roll in everything. It's the prefect mix of violence suspense and romance - who knew there was such a thing, right?
I should add - it took me all of a day and a half to get through this book, with breaks. It was THAT GOOD. I just couldn't stop reading. When I stopped, all I could think about was what would happen next.

No comments: