"Love and Other Recreational Sports" by John Dearie
Jack Lafferty is a 35 year old New York City Banker, and wanna-be writer, with women troubles. His fiance left him three weeks before their wedding and Jack is left wondering if he's defective when it comes to relationships. He just can't seem to get anything right.
After swearing off women and alcohol -- neither of which works very well -- he meets Sarah, a lawyer and musician, and he can't help but be drawn to her. However, with his mind stuck on the idea of being defective, he does everything is his power to stay away from her. His friends encourage him to go for it, but he's reluctant at first and thinks that she may not be interested in him.
Jack just wonders why he doesn't understand women. After a conversation with his best friend, Alex, about Alex's crisis over losing his hair, Jack has an epiphany. He realizes that he should have been listening to the advice he's been giving out to friends for years - "Nothing is easy and some things are meant to be a mystery and not understood, it's better that way."
Would I recommend this book?
Sure. I was different for me to read something I would consider "chick-lit" in a male perspective. You get a good, entertaining look into the mind of a 30-something single guy.
It's a relatively short book, but Dearie can get wordy is his descriptions. Some people like the detail, but I found it sort of distracting at times - I would be reading about something, then Jack would go off on a completely unrelated tangent then jump back to the current time and throw me off a bit. I'm talking like 5 or 6 page tangents sometimes. It was a bit much. Regardless, it was a good book and had me laughing out loud, especially at the best friend, Alex.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment