Wednesday, December 12, 2012

One.

This is that emotional sappy post I hinted at yesterday. You've been warned.

How did this year go so fast? 2012 was one of the quickest yet.

It's hard to believe we've gone from this...
...to this...
..all in only twelve months.

It's been a whirlwind, that's for sure. Being a mother ranks up there amongst the most challenging things I've ever done. And I'm sure the years to come will only come with more challenges. But you know what? I think if I can handle the life-altering thing that we call parenthood, I'll be ready for pretty much anything.

I don't think I ever could have imagined how much one little person could so greatly change my life. You don't really realize how many things are going to change until you really experience it. I mean, yes, you KNOW life will change when you have a baby... but even little things.. like going grocery shopping or running to the bank. Everything is impacted by baby!

Instead of life revolving around "youyouyou"... it turns into "babybabybaby". It's an eye-opener, that's for sure.


But you know what?
I wouldn't change one thing about this past year. Not one.

You know why?
Because while there were plenty of challenges that made me want to rip my hair out some days, the rewards of parenting were well worth it.


Seeing that first smile. Hearing that first precious giggle. Crawling. First steps. Watching him learn new things and become an independent little man... all that made me forget the hard, challenging stuff. Being one of the people to help him grow into a well-rounded, smart little boy is the biggest reward of all. Knowing that I have a hand in what he could become, that's fulfilling stuff right there.

**
We successfully made it to one whole year of breastfeeding.

Back in that first month? There's no way in hell I EVER would have imagined making it this far. I wanted to quit on a daily basis. But anyone who knows me, knows that I'm FAR to stubborn to give up.

I stuck it out though. Not even once having to use to formula (not that it's horrible, there's nothing wrong with formula!). It took months of nursing around the clock. Months of using that awful shield. Months of weight gain worries. Months of having the slowest nurser on the planet. But I stuck it out. I know I'm incredibly blessed to have made it this far.

About a month ago my husband told me "I'm proud of you". At the time I said something about my stubborness to make a joke.. but honestly? I'm really glad that he said that.


To know that he is proud of me makes me that much more happy about my decision to stick with it and not give up. Knowing that I had his support through everything is wonderful. I'm grateful to have such a great support system.

We've started the weaning process now. Every time I nurse him, I take advantage of that "us" time. Now that we're nearing the end, it's actually a little emotional to think that each time is one step closer to the last time.

I know we had a great run, and for that, I'm incredibly happy.

**
So yeah. One year. How my life has changed.

At least it changed for the better.

I'm so blessed to have Charlie in my life and I feel lucky that I get to be his Mommy.

Lots of love to my little man. I can't wait to see what the next year has in store for us!

No comments: