"Never Smile At Strangers" by Jennifer Minar-Jaynes
SUMMARY from Goodreads
WHEN TEENAGE GIRLS
VANISH in what was once considered a safe, Louisiana bayou town, the
lives of four desperate young locals take unexpected turns, begging the
crucial question: Do you every truly know those closest to you?
When
nineteen-year-old Tiffany Perron vanishes from rural Grand Trespass,
Louisiana, best friend HALEY LANDRY's relationship with her boyfriend
becomes increasingly strained. To make matters worse, her impressionable
younger sister BECKY has begun idolizing an impetuous, seductive 15
year old who's encouraging her to do dangerous things.
Meanwhile,
ERICA DUVALL, a reclusive 19-year-old aspiring writer, befriends Haley.
Ten years earlier, Erica’s mother abandoned her, leaving her with the
womanizing used car salesman father she loathes. She’s decided to write a
novel based on Tiffany’s disappearance; a novel that she hopes will
lead to a reunion with her estranged novelist mother.
RACHEL
ANDERSON, a 36-year-old mother of two, is having trouble coming to terms
with her husband, TOM’s, affair with the missing girl—a relationship
that supposedly ended shortly before Tiffany’s disappearance. What’s
more, she comes to the blood curdling realization that someone is
watching her through the large back windows of her house.
A
DISTURBED MAN also lives in the area. Ever since his mother’s murder
four years earlier, he’s been raising his insolent teenage sister,
ALLIE, who sleeps with truck drivers for money. He considers women to be
dangerous—and his world revolves around his fear and hatred for them.
He’s terrified of his sister, knowing she’s intent on pushing him over
the edge.
MY RATING
MY THOUGHTS
This is the first book I've had the chance to finish in quite a while! It was also my first read on my brand new Kindle Fire!
I pretty much loved this book. I won't lie, I chose it because it was a free download on Amazon at the time, so I honestly didn't have very high hopes. However, it ended up being pretty darn good.
The story jumps characters (as you can tell from the Summary), but it's still surprisingly easy to follow the story line. The chapters are short, but still manage to leave you with cliffhangers when jumping to the next character. The author does a great job of making you WANT to keep reading to see what happens.
I'm usually pretty good at guessing the outcome before I get to the "big reveal", but this one kind of blew my mind. I did not see it coming at all. Towards the end, little details come out and they kind of make you guess, but yet you still feel like you're wrong. Really keeps the wheels turning!
Would I recommend this book? If you're looking for a read to keep you on your toes and suck you in, then absolutely yes!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment