Monday, April 4, 2011

Kitchen Changes

Jamie and I finally took the big leap and ordered our new kitchen cabinets! I'm pretty pumped about it. The new cabinets and layout are going to be so wonderful. Not to mention a dishwasher... I think I hear angels singing... I can't freaking wait not to have to wash everything by hand!

This is our current kitchen layout - drawn out by yours truly:

The current layout... well let's just say it sucks. Big time. There's not nearly enough storage and don't even get me started on counter space (or lack there of). Then there's the randomly placed maroonish countertop that was obviously an afterthought.

This will be the new layout:


The north wall placement is a little off in the rendering, but you get the idea. Right now, there is only the floating maroonish countertop on the north wall, no cabinets at all. We're going to change that by putting all lower cabinets and then a tall pantry unit in the corner.

The wall will be bumped out about 10'' to accommodate the 24" deep cabinets on that north wall, which will hopefully open up the back entry way a bit as well.

Here are a few (crappy quality) renderings of the future layout - keep in mind that those ugly cabinets are not what will be going in out kitchen. Oh, and our appliance don't look like something straight from the 70's either...

North wall - including a dishwasher YAY!

South wall - the tall portion is a pantry, next to it is a 4-bin trash/recycling unit:
East wall - the stoves new location, with a kickass Lazy Susan in the corner:

The cabinets we chose are from Schrock Cabinetry. We went with Maple in a Cider finish. No more white cabinets for us!


So the cabinets are all on order. They should arrive in roughly 3 weeks. Now we just have to choose a countertop and flooring!

I'll post 'Before' photos of our actual kitchen before demo begins.

No comments: