Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Book Review: "Marked"

"Marked" by PC Cast and Kristin Cast


Book 1 of 8 in the House of Night series

16 year old Zoey Redbird has been Marked to join the House of Night. She has no choice but to join, unless she wants to die. For the next four years, she will attend classes there with all the others that have been Marked.

Zoey's Mark isn't like everyone else's. By the time she gets to the House of Night, her crescent moon Mark is already completely filled in - where everyone else at her level only has the outline. This makes Zoey somewhat of an oddity. Everyone is either afraid, confused or fascinated by her. She is taken in by Neferet, who becomes her mentor and helps her understand what is happening with the Change.

After only a short time at the House of Night, Zoey discovers that she may have a special gift, or affinity as they refer to them. Only her closest friends are aware of her affinity, but this comes in handy when she needs to perform a ritual at  Dark Daughters meeting. Zoey discovers a little more about her powers and her Mark becomes even more unique as she becomes the unexpected new leader of the Dark Daughters.

Zoey manages to land the affection of the "it" boy, Erik Night, make four awesome new friends, get a cat and possibly Imprint on her not-quite-ex-boyfriend. All that in a week. It's a lot to take in.

Would I recommend this book?
Sure I guess so. It's not horrible, just different. In these books, humans are aware of vampires and all "stereotypes" about vamps go out the window. I'm curious to see where the series goes.

I keep getting sucked into supernatural series books.... not sure how I feel about that.

Next up is book 2: "Betrayed".

No comments: