Tuesday, February 8, 2011

New Challenges

I've been searching around online for a photography challenge for a few weeks now. I came across a lot of different options, but it took a while to find just the right one.

A lot of people like '365 Challenge' - where you take and share a new photo daily. Honestly? I don't really have the time for that. So my search continued. A few things that I was looking for were: something I could do self-paced, something that would help me step outside my photographic comfort zone and something that didn't take time everyday.

I finally came across this. This list met my challenge criteria and with a little tweaking, I think I can make it work!

So here's what I came up with....

Weeks 1-4 (February 13-March 12): SYMMETRY
* shooting one photo a week with the theme of symmetry. Symmetry is an “imprecise sense of harmonious or aesthetically pleasing proportionality and balance.” source

Weeks 5-8 (March 13 - April 9): SIGNS
* shooting one photo each week, with the theme of SIGNS. The more interesting the sign, the better! source


Weeks 9-12 (April 10 - May 7): DOORWAYS
* shooting one photo each week, concentrating on DOORWAYS. A doorway is a passage from one place to another. We can stand in one place and peer into another. Often you can capture contrasting scenes, colors, and textures. A door is the “book’s cover” to a home or a building, it creates the first impression. source

Weeks 13-16 (May 8 - June 4): NATURAL LANDSCAPE
* shooting one photo each with of a NATURAL LANDSCAPE. “A natural landscape is one that is unaffected by human activity.” That means we need to find a location that appears to have NOT been touched by human hands." source


Weeks 17-20 (June 5 - July 2): FLOWERS
* shooting one photo each week, with the theme of FLOWERS. Shoot flowers in the wild, flowers in a vase, flowers wherever you find them. Shoot the details of a single blossom, or a wide expanse of wildflowers in a field. source


Weeks 21-24 (July 3 - July 30): COLOR THEORY
* shooting one photo each week, with the theme of COLOR THEORY. For this challenge, pay attention to how the colors affect the photograph. Perhaps the composition can be about the contrast of different colors. Or the frame could be filled with a single color. source
 
Weeks 25-28 (July 31 - August 27): DOWN LOW
* shooting one photo each week, with the theme of DOWN LOW. This theme is more about the composition than the subject. Get down low on the ground. Don’t just shoot up into the sky or ceiling. You can do that standing up. Show whatever subject you choose from a very low point of view. Commit to shooting below 12 inches. source
 
Weeks 29-32 (August 28 - September 24): MACRO
* shooting one photo each week, with the theme of MACRO. source
 
Weeks 33-36 (September 25 - October 22): SHIFTING SEASON
* shooting one photo each week, with the theme of SHIFTING SEASON. Capture the fall leaves and the incoming of cooler temperatures. source


Weeks 37-40 (October 23 - November 19) : ARCHITECTURE
* shooting one photo each week, with the theme ARCHITECTURE. This is a theme with a lot of subject matter waiting to be shot, and a lot of leeway in how you choose to shoot it. For example, you could shoot wide, showing how a building fits into its environment or how an entire city skyline appears from a distance. Or you could shoot an individual architectural detail that may go unnoticed. source

 
Weeks 41-44 (November 20 - December 17): GADGETS
* shooting one photo each week, with the theme of GADGETS. Our lives are so packed with doo-dads and thingy-ma-giggers that we use and even need. We probably don’t even need to venture out and find any gadgets, to get enough subjects for this challenge. source

Weeks 45-48 (December 18 - January 14): RESOLUTION
* shooting one photo each week, with the theme of RESOLUTION. What are you resolved to do in 2012? What do you see others around you resolved to do? Photograph them. source


So that's that! I took a lot of what PhotoChallenge had to offer, but moved things around to better fit with my start dates. I think it should work out well!

My challenge starts next week with the symmetry theme, I already have a few ideas in mind that I'm pretty excited about! Since my weeks start on Sundays for each challenge, my goal will be to post each weekly photo at some point between Saturday and Monday.  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great choice! Can't wait to see your photos.

Emily said...

That looks like a really fun one! Looking forward to all the photos you'll take!

Michelle said...

thanks! I'm excited to get started.