
This book follows the life of Jacob Jankowski as the ninety (or ninety-three) year old relives his early years working for the circus. After his parents were killed in an auto accident when Jacob was twenty-one, he ran off and found himself as the veterinarian for the Benzini Brothers Circus - traveling the railroad with the show during the 1930's Depression.
Gruen really did her research with this book. She left out no details when it came to the happenings at a 1930's circus, however unnerving some of them were. You really get a good look at how things worked.
Jacob takes over the vet services for all the animals. He is supervised by August, who is a certified paranoid schizophrenic - his occasional outbursts are usually directed towards Jacob, or his own wife, Marlena. In a short time, Jacob falls in love with Marlena - not the best idea since she is the bosses wife.
Would I recommend this book?
Absolutely! I was expecting this to be a more serious story, and while it WAS serious, it also held a humorous side that made the story really come together. Sara Gruen did an amazing job with this book, I would highly recommend this book to everyone. I can't wait for the movie to come out later this year.




No comments:
Post a Comment