Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Solids

I know I have a lot of time to think about this yet, but solid baby foods have been on my mind a lot lately.

Am I entirely insane for thinking of making baby food myself?

The more I read about it, the more the idea grows on me. There are so many great resources out there that have really helped me in my research so far. I've been finding this website to be a valuable learning tool. They have everything from what to try and how to make it, to storing and much more.

When it comes to equipment, I pretty much have what's needed. A blender and access to a grocery store! As for storage, I like the idea of covered ice cube trays to freeze cubes and then transferring the cubes into freezer bags.

I have my eye on these Mumi & Bubi trays:
They cost a little more than regular trays, but I like that the bottom is rounded and the slots are flexible. That means that it's a lot easier to get the food cubes out once they're frozen. I think it would be worth the expense, and I'd really one need one set.

Jamie just picked up a chest freezer for our basement on Sunday. Thank goodness, because we need the extra freezer space! My frozen milk stash has taken over quite a bit of our kitchen freezer. The extra deep freeze will definitely come in handy for all things frozen.

Expense wise, making your own baby food seems really budget friendly. I came across this little chart in my searches:
I know that maybe $0.23 per ounce may not sound like a lot of savings, but over time that can add up!

We have another 3ish months at least until we really need to think about solids. But in the mean time, it's always good to know what options are out there.

2 comments:

Kel Klump said...

Making baby food is super easy. I used regular ice cube trays. Making food does make a huge mess and you will want to make a bunch at once to save you time. I have 8 trays and usually did two or three veggies/fruits at once. I stored them in a plastic freezer bag labeled size they all look alike once frozen. I covered the trays with loose foil and it worked well. Good luck! We pretty much made everything so you know it's possible.

Michelle said...

Thanks for the info Kelly!

How often did you make the big batches? Monthly, weekly?

The only thing I'm up in the air about is making the meat purees. Something about pureeing meat just does not sound appealing to me.. haha