Charles James Birth Story
The cliff notes version:
Charles (Charlie) James – he’s named after his Grandpa and his Daddy. We kept the name a surprise and told family when they came to visit us at the hospital.
My water broke at 39 weeks 6 days December 11th, 2011 at 11:10am. We made it to the hospital at 12:20pm. Charlie was born at 1:38pm! He was in a hurry to arrive apparently! No time for meds so delivery was pain med free.
He was 6lbs 12oz and 20 inches long with gorgeous blue eyes and blonde peach fuzz.
We came home on the 13th and things are going pretty well. It’s a big adjustment.
The long version:
Jamie and I went to church at 9am on December 11th. I had been having irregular contractions for days, but after two sweeps at 38 and 39 weeks, nothing was happening.
We had been home for about 45 minutes and Jamie stepped out to work on putting together his parents Christmas gift in the garage. I was about to have a snack, when all of a sudden I felt what I thought was my water breaking, but I wasn't 100% sure. Just like that, a switch was flipped and the more painful contractions started - although they weren't anything like I expected.
Funny side note: my water broke in the same spot in the living room where Jamie proposed :)
Funny side note: my water broke in the same spot in the living room where Jamie proposed :)
Never in a million years would I have imagined that things would go so quickly after my water broke. I called the hospital, and after being put on and off hold for what seemed like FOREVER, the nurse said we should head into Labor & Delivery.
We made it to the hospital at about 12:20pm and I was admitted right away at a 4 and 100%. The contractions seemed like they were right on top of each other. Things were moving pretty quickly!
I think if we would have chosen to deliver at one of the other hospitals in town, we wouldn't have made it there in time. Those hospitals would have put us through Packer game day traffic. I don't even want to think about that... yikes!
With each contraction the baby's heart rate was dropping, so I was put on oxygen and they had me lay on my side. I was still progressing really fast, and the nurse said that if his heart rate didn't pick back up that we would need to discuss alternate delivery methods - although we never made it to that.
I think if we would have chosen to deliver at one of the other hospitals in town, we wouldn't have made it there in time. Those hospitals would have put us through Packer game day traffic. I don't even want to think about that... yikes!
With each contraction the baby's heart rate was dropping, so I was put on oxygen and they had me lay on my side. I was still progressing really fast, and the nurse said that if his heart rate didn't pick back up that we would need to discuss alternate delivery methods - although we never made it to that.
At this point I was asking for an epidural, the nurse put in the request but warned me that I was progressing so quickly that I likely wouldn’t get one in time. She checked me again then and I was at 6, then maybe 10 minutes later I was at 8! I opted for Nubain in my IV at that time, but it didn’t do anything at all. She checked me again and I was ready to push!
The anesthesiologist actually made it there, poked his head in and said "guess you don't need me?"... yeah, we were already wrapping things up at that point!
The anesthesiologist actually made it there, poked his head in and said "guess you don't need me?"... yeah, we were already wrapping things up at that point!
After 28 minutes and about 6ish rounds of pushing at 1:38pm, Charlie was born at 6lbs 12oz 20 inches long.
There was a bit of meconium in the fluid and the cord was wrapped around his neck once, so NICU was called in. He had a bit of respiratory distress due to his fast delivery, but after a few hours he was doing just great.
I didn’t get to hold him right off the bat because of his breathing issue, but after about 30 minutes or so, I held him for the first time and I was amazed at how beautiful he is. I couldn't believe he was really there.
I had a little bit of a rough time with recovery at first because of his fast appearance, but everything got better quickly. Looking back, I'm glad that I didn't have the epidural.
Charlie was a bit jaundiced, but after a few blood draws to check his levels, everything corrected itself without the help of the bili lights or any additional action.
I had a little bit of a rough time with recovery at first because of his fast appearance, but everything got better quickly. Looking back, I'm glad that I didn't have the epidural.
Charlie was a bit jaundiced, but after a few blood draws to check his levels, everything corrected itself without the help of the bili lights or any additional action.
We came home after 2 days in the hospital and we're working everyday at figuring things out. Things get a little easier everyday, but everyday is also so different.
The first two weeks were really rough on my emotional & mental state. I would cry at the drop of a hat and I felt so defeated when it came to figuring out what Charlie needed. Add being exhausted on top of that, and I was basically crying ALL THE TIME. I'm so thankful for Jamie for being a super supportive husband. I kept thinking he would tell me to get it together, but he never did. He offered hugs, love and support - and that's all I really needed. I don't think I could have made it through those first weeks without him.
I chose to exclusively breastfeed Charlie. It was a rough road at first, but things are getting better. Two days after we went home, we went back to the hospital and met with a wonderful lactation consultant. If not for her, I honestly think I would have quit and switched to formula. Her help and advice really helped tremendously. We're entering week four now and I'm feeling much more optimistic about breastfeeding and providing what he needs.
The first two weeks were really rough on my emotional & mental state. I would cry at the drop of a hat and I felt so defeated when it came to figuring out what Charlie needed. Add being exhausted on top of that, and I was basically crying ALL THE TIME. I'm so thankful for Jamie for being a super supportive husband. I kept thinking he would tell me to get it together, but he never did. He offered hugs, love and support - and that's all I really needed. I don't think I could have made it through those first weeks without him.
I chose to exclusively breastfeed Charlie. It was a rough road at first, but things are getting better. Two days after we went home, we went back to the hospital and met with a wonderful lactation consultant. If not for her, I honestly think I would have quit and switched to formula. Her help and advice really helped tremendously. We're entering week four now and I'm feeling much more optimistic about breastfeeding and providing what he needs.
My labor experience was nothing like I expected, but I wouldn’t change anything for the world. I have a beautiful son and I have never loved him or my husband more. This has been such a life altering experience for me.
Being a mother is a huge adjustment. Going from having way too much free time, to being consumed by this tiny life is a bit overwhelming, but we're slowly working on a routine. We're figuring this out a day at a time and I'm looking forward to all that motherhood throws at me.
Being a mother is a huge adjustment. Going from having way too much free time, to being consumed by this tiny life is a bit overwhelming, but we're slowly working on a routine. We're figuring this out a day at a time and I'm looking forward to all that motherhood throws at me.




No comments:
Post a Comment